Jayce is a champion from the popular online video game League of Legends, and he has just made his debut in the new Arcane TV show. In this article we will do a deep dive on Jayce from Arcane and compare him to his League of Legends champion.
In this article we will discuss the following:
- Who is Jayce from Arcane?
- How Old Is Jayce from Arcane?
- Jayce from Arcane’s Defining Moment
- Jayce League of Legends: According to Riot Games
- League of Legends: Jayce and Viktor
- Jayce League of Legends: Abilities
- Conclusion—Jayce the Defender of Tomorrow Champion vs the Arcane Scholar
Who is Jayce from Arcane?
Jayce from Arcane comes from house Talis, a family of tool makers. Instead of Jayce following in his deceased father’s footsteps, he becomes a scholar at the Piltover Academy.
Jayce hoped to harness the power of magic through science. The work was done in secret and was very dangerous.
A group of young children from the undercity broke into Jayce’s lab and ransacked the place. One of the intruders named Jinx dropped one of Jayce’s Hextech Gemstones during the getaway on the floor, causing a major explosion.
Dean Heimerdinger advised Jayce to stop his research and to avoid mentioning what he was trying to accomplish in-front of the council when he is brought forward to discuss what caused the explosion. Dean Heimerdinger feared Jayce would be punished harshly for going against the natural order of things.
Jayce told the council everything against Heimerdinger’s wishes and in-doing so, was expelled from the academy.
Jayce and Viktor (Heumerdinger’s assistant) worked together in secret to stabilize the Hextech Gemstones and continue the research. Arcane Jayce Talis and Viktor were able to stabilize the gemstones and harness the magic using science, bringing about a future of unprecedented growth and danger to Piltover.
How Old Is Jayce from Arcane?
If you’re familiar with Arcane you know that during the show there is a time jump. When we first meet Jayce during act 1 he is 24 years old.
During Arcane’s 2nd and 3rd act Jayce is between the age of 30 & 31 years old.
Jayce from Arcane’s Defining Moment
How did Jayce find his love of harnessing magic?
When Jayce was but a child, he and his mother were caught in a terrible snowstorm, in the middle of nowhere. Jayce’s mother was on the verge of death after collapsing, due to the poor conditions, luckily a cloaked figure emerged out of nowhere. This mysterious character used magic to teleport both Jayce and his mother to safety.
The cloaked figure handed Jayce the crystal he used for the spell that saved his mother’s life before he left. Due to this, Jayce begins on a path of discovery. The young golden boy would no longer rest until he learned how to control magic, through the means of science.
Jayce League of Legends: According to Riot Games
It has been interesting to see how the League of Legends champions have been adapted for Netflix’s hit Arcane show.
Jayce is no exception. Riot Games paints a very different picture from what we received in the Arcane animated show.
Jayce’s lengthy Riot Games backstory can be summarized with him being an arrogant inventor who had a falling out with his closest friend and colleague named Viktor.
Jayce is a brilliant inventor who has pledged his life to the defense of Piltover and its unyielding pursuit of progress. With his transforming hextech hammer in hand, Jayce uses his strength, courage, and considerable intelligence to protect his hometown. While revered throughout the city as a hero, he hasn’t taken well to the attention heroism brings. Still, Jayce’s heart is in the right place, and even those who envy his natural skills are grateful for his protection in the City of Progress.Riot Games
League of Legends: Jayce and Viktor
Although Jayce was considered arrogant and dismissive to his fellow colleagues, he did have a moral compass guiding him to always try and do the right thing. Unlike his old-friend Viktor.
Viktor attempted to kill Jayce over a blue crystal he wanted to use for some evil science project with an army of metal-automatons, with brains implanted from deceased soldiers.
Jayce defeated Viktor in battle, as-well as his zombie-automatons, earning himself the nickname: “the Defender of Tomorrow”.
You can checkout the full Riot Games biography on Jayce right here.
Jayce League of Legends: Abilities
Jayce in League of Legends is considered a fighter with a moderate difficulty level to play. He comes equipped with some very unique abilities that make Jayce a very powerful and respected champion in the game.
Some of Jayce’s unique abilities from League of Legends are:
- When Jayce swaps weapons he gains Move Speed for a short duration.
TO THE SKIES! / SHOCK BLAST
- Hammer Stance: Leaps to an enemy dealing physical damage and slowing enemies. Cannon Stance: Fires an orb of electricity that detonates upon hitting an enemy (or reaching the end of its path) dealing physical damage to all enemies hit.
LIGHTNING FIELD / HYPER CHARGE
- Hammer Stance: Passive: Restores Mana per strike. Active: Creates a field of lightning damaging nearby enemies for several seconds. Cannon Stance: Gains a burst of energy, increasing Attack Speed to maximum for several attacks.
THUNDERING BLOW / ACCELERATION GATE
- Hammer Stance: Deals magic damage to an enemy and knocks them back a short distance. Cannon Stance: Deploys an Acceleration Gate increasing the Move Speed of all allied champions who pass through it. If Shock Blast is fired through the gate the missile speed, range, and damage will increase.
MERCURY CANNON / MERCURY HAMMER
- Hammer Stance: Transforms the Mercury Hammer into the Mercury Cannon gaining new abilities and increased range. The first attack in this form reduces the target’s Armor and Magic Resist. Cannon Stance: Transforms the Mercury Cannon into the Mercury Hammer gaining new abilities and increasing Armor and Magic Resist. The first attack in this form deals additional magic damage.
Conclusion—Jayce the Defender of Tomorrow Champion vs the Arcane Scholar
There are many similarities between Jayce from Arcane and the playable character from LoL but even more differences.
Jayce from Arcane is a much more morally good person and doesn’t have the same anger issues that seem to plague Jayce, the LoL character. Jayce, from Arcane also doesn’t seem to be as arrogant as his LoL counterpart and is more level headed and collected.
Something also to note is in LoL Viktor is Jayce’s archenemy but in Arcane there story plays out very differently, something I dare not spoil here.
Have you watched the show and played the game? Jayce is a very unique and powerful champion in both. let me know your thoughts in the comments below!